1. In the experiment we kept a watchful eye _____ the developments and recorded every detail.
A) in B) at C) for D) on
2. There’s little chance that mankind would ________ a nuclear war.
A) retain B) endure C) maintain D) survive
3. Nuclear science be developed to benefit the people ________ harm them.
A) more than B) other than C) rather than D) better than
4. The French pianist who had been praised very highly ________ to be a great disappointment.
A) turned up B) turned in C) turned out D) turned down
5. Many difficulties have ________ as a result of the change over to a new type of fuel.
A) risen B) arisen C) raised D) arrived
6. He made such a ________ contribution to the university that they are naming one of the new buildings after him.
A) genuine B) minimum C) modest D) generous
7. In the advanced course students must take performance tests at monthly ________.
A) gaps B) intervals C) length D) distance
8. We regret to inform you that the materials you ordered are ________.
A) out of work B) out of stock C) out of reach D) out of practice
9. Our company decided to ________ the contract because a number of the conditions in it had not been met.
A) destroy B) resist C) assume D) cancel
10. She is ________ a musician than her brother.
A) much of B) much as C) more of D) more as
11. Having been found guilty, the man was given a severe ________ by the judge.
A) service B) sentence C) crime D) crisis
12. ________ is known to the world, Mark Twain is great American writer.
A) That B) Which C) As D) It
13. You can’t afford to let the situation get worse. You must take ________ to put it right.
A) decisions B) directions C) sides D) steps
14. Before he left for his vacation he went to the bank to ________ some money.
A) pull B) pick C) gain D) draw
15. Frankfurt, Germany, is in one of the most ________ populated regions of Western Europe.
A) densely B) vastly C) enormously D) largely
16. The police set a ________ to catch the thieves.
A) plan B) device C) trap D) trick
17. We have to try every means to ________ the costs of the construction project.
A) bring off B) bring forth C) bring down D) bring back
18. The students were participating ________ an international energy-saving competition between towns in New England and Canada.
A) for B) in C) to D) at
19 When she was criticized, she claimed that it was outside her ________ of responsibility.
A) field B) limit C) extent D) range
20. We welcome rain, but a(an) ________ large amount of rainfall will cause floods.
A) extensively B) extremely C) specially D) constantly